ELLEN NORA PAYNE

If one was asked to name the outstanding features of the church, one would unhesitatingly point to the magnificent carvings in oak and blackwood - the pulpit, "the screen of the seven sisters", the honour boards, and the font cover. All of these the work of one woman, Mrs E. N. Payne, the youngest daughter of the Hon. and Mrs. T. W. Field of "Westfield" and were presented to the church by members of the Field family.

The pulpit, is constructed of English Oak and was designed and carved  by Ellen Nora Payne  in England, put together by Moos Brothers in England and shipped out in parts to be assembled by Mr Hills of Launceston. The Pulpit was dedicated on 5th May 1905 by the Venerable Archdeacon Whitington.

The pulpit is in honour of Thomas William Field and his wife Elizabeth, Ellen Nora Payne’s parents.

The eloborate and delicate " screen of the seven sisters" carved, when she was 72 years old, is a beautiful memorial to her seven dead sisters.

Nellie, as she was known to many, continued her carving until her early nineties. Mrs. Payne was born at Westbury 1865 and died at the age of 97 years in 1962, and is buried in the Anglian Cemetery at Westbury.

Ellen Nora Payne's works can also be seen in several places around Tasmania, including the Hobart Town Hall, House of Assembly in Hobart, Hutchins, Friends, St. Michael's Collegiate and the Launceston Church Grammer School..

......
ELLEN BUILDING THE PULPIT ....................... THE PULPIT ,,,,.............................,, THE FONT ............................................THE 7 SISTERS....

more information about Nellie click here www.nelliepayne.com

 

HOME ......... HISTORY .......MARKETS